"You pierce my soul." Persuasion and the South Coast
A Pathfinders Tour • July 10-20, 2018
(Tentative as of December 2017)
Jane Austen's grave in Winchester Cathedral
- Sunday, July 15: Depart for Dorset/Devon. Stop in Salisbury en route to visit Wilton House, where two adaptations of Austen's novels have been filmed. Travel through Dorset via Blandford, a market town with well-preserved Georgian architecture. Continue to Sidmouth for a two-night stay. Hotel in Sidmouth; B, D*
- Monday, July 16: Spend a full day in Lyme Regis. Walk through the old town, see the memorial garden, and read a passage from Persuasion on The Cobb. Following an independent lunch, visit the Lyme Regis Philpot Museum to view Austen memorabilia and an exhibit on paleontologist Mary Anning. Take the opportunity to participate in a private Fossil Walk. Return via St Michael’s Church to view the cliffs and to see Mary Anning’s grave and memorial window. Free time to stroll the beach at Lyme or nearby Charmouth (weather permitting) before returning to the hotel. Hotel in Sidmouth; B*
- Tuesday, July 17: Depart for Bath. Drive through Crewkerne (mentioned in Persuasion) and then visit Montacute House, a possible model for Kellynch Hall, and a filming location used for the 1995 adaptation of Sense and Sensibility. Continue to Bath, stopping at Norton St Philip to see the historic George Inn, which was used as a film location for the inn scenes in the Persuasion. Hotel in Bath: B*
Wednesday, July 18: Tour of locations in Bath associated with Persuasion and Jane Austen’s life, including The Paragon, 4 Sydney Place, Green Park Buildings (rebuilt), Camden Place (Sir Walter’s lodgings in the novel), the Pump Room, the Royal Circus, the Assembly Rooms, the Gravel Walk, Laura Place (Lady Dalrymple’s lodgings), the site of the White Hart coaching inn (demolished in the 1860’s), and more. In the evening, attend a festive supper and enjoy musical entertainment at “Sir Walter Elliot’s Townhouse.” Hotel in Bath: B, D*
Evening at "Sir Walter's Bath Townhouse"
- Thursday, July 19: Visit the village of Lacock, which was used to film Upper Cross in the 2005 adaptation of Persuasion and Longbourn in the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice. Return to Bath for a free afternoon. Farewell dinner. Hotel in Bath: B, D*
- Friday, July 20: Tour ends. Transportation to airport will be provided for participants returning home today. B*
1 Royal Crescent, Bath
* indicates meals included in tour price.